Criminal Defense Law Firm West Palm Beach Florida
If you have been accused of a crime, you should get in touch with a criminal defense lawyer West Palm Beach, FL residents trust. Dealing with a criminal charge is scary, and you want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. A lawyer can defend you and improve your chances of a favorable outcome.
Steps to Take After Getting Arrested
Getting arrested is never a pleasant experience. However, the steps you take immediately afterward can make a big difference.
- Cooperate With the Police: When the police put you in handcuffs, it can be shocking, especially if you didn’t commit the crime. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t follow their orders. If you try to argue or run away, it can make the situation even worse.
- Exercise Your Right to Remain Silent: Just because you have to cooperate with the police, doesn’t mean you have to talk to them about your case. Even if you’re innocent and think you can explain what happened, avoid telling the police anything. They aren’t there to help you. Politely tell them that you don’t want to talk to them without a lawyer present.
- Retain a Lawyer: No matter what crime you’re charged with, you don’t want to go through the legal process alone. It’s important to hire a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL promptly. He or she will evaluate your case and build you a strong defense. He or she will provide protection against the police and look out for your best interests.
- Think Twice About Accepting the First Plea Deal: After you get arrested, the prosecuting attorney may offer you a plea bargain. Since criminal proceedings are stressful, you may be tempted to take the deal. Don’t do this. The prosecutor’s first plea bargain isn’t likely a favorable one. Give your lawyer time to work out a fairer deal.
- Follow Your Lawyer’s Advice: Your lawyer has your best interests in mind, so you should take his or her advice seriously. For instance, your lawyer may advise you to avoid talking about the details of your case with family and friends.
- Take Good Care of Yourself: A criminal charge can definitely increase your stress levels and even make you lose sleep at night. However, it’s still important to take good care of yourself. If you take proper care of your health, you can get through this easier. Eat a wholesome diet, get plenty of rest and exercise regularly.
If you were charged with a crime, you should schedule a consultation with a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL. Call Farkas & Crowley today.