Criminal Defense Lawyer West Palm Beach, FL
If you have been accused of a crime, you should get in touch with a criminal defense lawyer West Palm Beach, FL residents trust. Dealing with a criminal charge is scary, and you want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. A lawyer can defend you and improve your chances of a favorable outcome.
Steps to Take After Getting Arrested
Getting arrested is never a pleasant experience. However, the steps you take immediately afterward can make a big difference.
- Cooperate With the Police: When the police put you in handcuffs, it can be shocking, especially if you didn’t commit the crime. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t follow their orders. If you try to argue or run away, it can make the situation even worse.
- Exercise Your Right to Remain Silent: Just because you have to cooperate with the police, doesn’t mean you have to talk to them about your case. Even if you’re innocent and think you can explain what happened, avoid telling the police anything. They aren’t there to help you. Politely tell them that you don’t want to talk to them without a lawyer present.
- Retain a Lawyer: No matter what crime you’re charged with, you don’t want to go through the legal process alone. It’s important to hire a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL promptly. He or she will evaluate your case and build you a strong defense. He or she will provide protection against the police and look out for your best interests.
- Think Twice About Accepting the First Plea Deal: After you get arrested, the prosecuting attorney may offer you a plea bargain. Since criminal proceedings are stressful, you may be tempted to take the deal. Don’t do this. The prosecutor’s first plea bargain isn’t likely a favorable one. Give your lawyer time to work out a fairer deal.
- Follow Your Lawyer’s Advice: Your lawyer has your best interests in mind, so you should take his or her advice seriously. For instance, your lawyer may advise you to avoid talking about the details of your case with family and friends.
- Take Good Care of Yourself: A criminal charge can definitely increase your stress levels and even make you lose sleep at night. However, it’s still important to take good care of yourself. If you take proper care of your health, you can get through this easier. Eat a wholesome diet, get plenty of rest and exercise regularly.
3 Benefits of Hiring a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Defendants in criminal cases need to have representation. The process of a criminal investigation and trial can be highly complex, and the possible outcomes can be life-altering and serious. Therefore, hiring a criminal defense lawyer offers many benefits. Here are three ways a defense attorney can help you during your criminal case.
1. Fighting for a Better Outcome
Criminal trials can have dire consequences, including fees, penalties, probation and jail time. Individuals convicted of crimes can lose professional qualifications, and having a felony record can impact your ability to make a living in the long term. A criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, can examine your case and the possible outcomes to help fight on your behalf. The attorneys at Farkas & Crowley, PA, work to obtain better deals for our clients and present arguments in court that protect their futures. They can develop strategies that increase the likelihood of a more favorable outcome.
2. Providing Guidance at Trial
Navigating the criminal justice system is difficult, but an experienced criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, can provide you with valuable guidance. An attorney from Farkas & Crowley, PA, can help you get through each stage of your case. For example, a lawyer can represent you when speaking to law enforcement during the initial investigation. They can advise you on how to conduct yourself to protect your rights. Additionally, your lawyer can help you present yourself well during your trial, assisting your ability to speak and appear as a respectful and upstanding community member. They can aid in filing paperwork, scheduling appearances and ensuring you take the necessary actions to defend yourself.
3. Protecting Your Rights
As a defendant, you have many rights designed to protect you from overreach by the criminal justice system. You are entitled to remain silent and seek representation, and you have the right to avoid self-incrimination. Furthermore, regulations prevent law enforcement from abusing their power and violating citizens’ privacy rights. A criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, can help you understand your rights and identify instances in which the state did not respect your civil liberties. If you have experienced inappropriate treatment from law enforcement, a defense attorney can help your safeguard your rights under the law.
Although it is difficult to be a criminal defendant, a lawyer can help you navigate the criminal justice system. By working with a criminal justice attorney, you can fight to defend your rights and obtain a fair outcome.
What Crimes Are People Most Often Arrested For?
A crime can generally be defined as a deed that is against the law and that someone can be punished for carrying out. While severe crimes like murder get most of the attention in the news, have you ever wondered what crimes people are actually most often arrested for? Take a look at some of the violent and property crimes that people are arrested for most often.
Larceny includes taking property that does not belong to you for your own use. This is a property crime that is very common in the United States, and those arrested for it may seek the advice of a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, such as one at Farkas & Crowley, PA.
Larceny is often grouped in with theft, which slightly differs from larceny as it is a more broad term that can include activities such as wage theft and identity theft. There are around 1,500 incidents of larceny and theft combined per 100,000 people in the United States.
The most common violent crime in the United States is aggravated assault. This is defined as somebody purposely and maliciously causing severe bodily injury to another person. If you think you have been wrongly charged with aggravated assault, a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, can assist you with what steps to take to get the charges dropped or to receive a fair trial. When larceny or theft occurs in combination with aggravated assault, the crime is considered to be a robbery.
Burglary is different from larceny and theft because it requires somebody to enter a building in order to be changed with the offense. Even if a suspect does not actually take anything from the building, simply entering with the intent of taking something can be enough to be charged with burglary. If you were arrested for entering but did not have the intent to steal something, a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL, could potentially help you get your charges reduced.
Motor Vehicle Theft
People can get arrested for motor vehicle theft if they steal or attempt to steal a car or other vehicle such as an RV. Penalties for this crime differ based on the monetary value of the stolen vehicle.
If you have been charged with any of these crimes, lawyers such as the ones at Farkas & Crowley, PA, will be able to give you legal advice.
If you were charged with a crime, you should schedule a consultation with a criminal defense lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL. Call Farkas & Crowley today.